Serious Sam Engine In The Web Browser26 Jan 2021
After a fair bit of work, I was able to get the open sourced Serious Sam Engine working in the browser. This project was a great learning experience and the result runs fairly smoothly.
Things that don’t work in the build:
- There is a small audio delay
The overall process is to use Emscripten to compile the engine source code into wasm/js runtime. Here’s a quick summary of the steps involved porting the code base to emscripten:
- Remove threaded code (already done)
- Ensure 32bit build works (already done)
- Ensure static build works (except for libraries provided by emscripten)
- Use gl4es library that translates/maps the OpenGL calls to OpenGL ES.
- Replace the infinite main loop with function to be called at the desired FPS from emscripten (